For people who are looking for a high quality knife set complete with block I highly recommend the Wusthof Gourmet 18-Piece Knife Set with Storage Block. One of the things that I enjoy best about the Wusthof knife set is its high quality, personally I think they are some of the best knives around. After spending years in my own kitchen and working as a cooking instructor I have used several brands of knives and I must say honestly that Wusthof is my favorite ones to use, and the ones I recommend my students to use.
The Wusthof Gourmet 18-Piece Knife Set lives up to the high quality I have come to expect from this brand of knives, plus having the storage block makes it easy to keep all of my knives in one location. This knife set comes with 18 knives with triple-riveted traditional style handles.
Included in the set are an 8 inch cook’s knife, 8 inch carving knife, 6 ½ inch santoku, 8 inch bread knife, 6 inch sandwich knife, 4 ¼ inch tomato knife, 3 inch paring knife, six steak knives, 4 inch utility knife, 6 inch meat fork, shears, and a 9 inch sharpening steel. Learning how to use the included sharpening steel properly is important because it extends the life of the knives, but also keeps the edge honed perfectly.
- Triple-Riveted – One thing that really makes these knives stand out in my opinion is the triple-riveted handles. Many times I have seen knife manufacturers construct handles that only had two rivets, which to me that is on the flimsy side. The triple-riveted handles are stronger than the double or single riveted ones; they even withstand my husband using them to slice a block of cheese.
- Stain-Resistant Alloy – One thing that I really have enjoyed with this knife set is the stain-resistant alloy that is used to make each knife. The high carbon steel used on each blade repels most stains, which means even after years of use I still don’t have any rust spots on the outside of the knives.
- Precise Tapering – The precise tapering is what makes these knives stand out from others in their class. The precise tapering is what allows the knives to cut so easily through anything one puts in its path. It is from the grinding and polishing that is done to each knife that the edge is perfectly tapered to give it that perfect edge.
- Traditional Style Handles – One thing that I have a hard time with is handles on knives, I am more old fashioned than most people. I love these knives because they come with traditional style handles, which makes the knives comfortable to use. However, each knife also comes with a finger guard, which adds to the safety of the knives as well as to the heft to allow for better cutting.
- Dishwasher – One thing that bugs me about these knives is that the manufacturer states they are dishwasher safe. Sure a person can put these in the dishwasher if they want dulled handles and duller looking knives. To ensure the life of your knives and to keep them looking new you should always hand wash your knives in hot, soapy water.
- Storage Block – something else hat is odd is that the storage block that comes with the knife set is short one hole. With the storage block I can only store my shears or my meat fork in with my knives. I prefer to store my shears inside the block because I use them a lot more than my meat fork, which I simply store inside my utensil drawer.
The Wusthof Gourmet 18-Piece Knife Set with Storage Block is different from the Wusthof Classic Gourmet 3-Piece Set in a variety of different ways. One of the biggest differences between the two knife sets is the number of knives included in the set, but the quality is also different. Both sets live p to the high quality name set by Wusthof, but the Gourmet series is the cheaper of the two. The blades in the Gourmet series are a thinner quality metal and are not hand forged like the Classic series.
Both the Gourmet and Classic series are a great choice, but personally I prefer the full set. To me the 3-piece set is a little small and I find the 6 inch sandwich knife useless. I know the Wusthof Gourmet 18 piece set is a bit on the pricey side, but is worth every penny spent because these knives can last a lifetime.
- Tempered to 56⁰ Rockwell
- Also contains 5" Hollow Edge Santoku, 8" Bread Knife, 8" Cook's Knife, 9" Steel, Come-Apart Kitchen Shears, and 17-Slot Block.
- Not dishwasher safe
- Incredibly sharp and easily maintained,
- laser cut blade.
Last update on 2017-04-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API