The highly appraised Frigidaire FAD504TDD Dehumidifier is no longer available after being slowly phased out of the market since May 2012. It has been substituted by the NEWFrigidaire FAD504DUD unit which is the current 50 pint dehumidifier model that replaces the FAD504TDD in the Frigidaire range.
The new FAD504DUD maintains all the great features of the FAD504TDD model, while adding some improvements that include: A more compact design (weighs 1 pound more and is a slightly larger), has a different looking but very user-friendly Electronic Controls Panel and is a little quieter, at least according to the many Customer Reviews.
When the FAD504DUD was introduced in May 2011, it had problems with a faulty continuous drainage system. Frigidaire was able to fix this problem with a new drainage kit and now the new model is one of the top selling Dehumidifiers in Amazon.
Apart from the improvements mentioned above, everything else is identical, so the Dehumidifier review (below) of the “phased out” Frigidaire FAD504TDD still applies to the new model, Frigidaire FAD504DUD 50 Pint Dehumidifier, which has been in the market since the Spring of 2011.
The Frigidaire FAD504TDD Dehumidifier is an Energy Star rated unit that can remove up to 50 pints of water per day from your home. This Frigidaire unit comes with an Effortless Full Tank Alert System that will automatically shut off the unit when the bucket is full, letting you know that it’s time to empty it. The carry handle and splash guard make emptying the water really easy. As an alternative you can attach a hose to the FAD504TDD and allow a continuous discharge of water to a nearby drain, avoiding the need to empty the water container manually.
The Frigidaire FAD504TDD Dehumidifier weighs 39 pounds and is fitted with four caster wheels as well as three carrying handles; one on top and the other two at the sides to make it easy to move the unit around the different rooms or basement in the house. The Frigidaire FAD504TDD has a full-function electronic control panel, featuring an easily accessible collection container with level indicator as well as a washable clean filter that removes moisture, harmful bacteria and allergens, helping to keep the air in your home smelling fresh and clean.
You can get the best deal online for the NEW Frigidaire FAD504DUD at Amazon.com
The Frigidaire FAD504TDD 50 pint Dehumidifier has an adjustable humidistat that helps you control the amount of air that the unit sucks in to be dehumidified, allowing it to increase or decrease the level of humidity in the range 35% to 85%. The most comfortable level for most people is about 50%, give or take 5%.
This feature is important as it helps to save energy by switching the dehumidifier’s compressor off once the desired relative humidity is reached. But even though the compressor switches off, the fan will continue running in order to provide a flow of air for the humidistat so that it can sense the humidity in the room and will “know” when to re-start the compressor.
Another important feature on the Frigidaire FAD504TDD is auto-defrost. This will stop the refrigeration process by stopping the compressor. The main purpose of auto-defrost is to protect the dehumidifier from damage. A sensor detects the formation of ice on the cold coil and turns off the compressor. The fan keeps running and the flow of ambient air melts the ice. This is normal in dehumidifiers with this feature and is regarded as a safety feature that should also prolong the life of the FAD504TDD.
Frigidaire FAD504TDD Product Features and Functions
- Ready-Select Controls to easily select options with the touch of a button.
- Anti-microbial filter removes harmful bacteria and allergens from the air
- Adjustable Humidistat for effortless Humidity Control in your home
- Energy Star Rated, meaning it uses less energy and saves you money.
- Operates at low ambient temperatures as low as 41°F
- Washable filter keeps your air smelling fresh and prevents odors
- Shuts off automatically and Indicator light comes on when the water tank is almost full
- Large 17 pint, front loading Water Bucket with Carrying Handle and Splash Guard
- Caster wheels plus top and side handles to make it easy to move from room to room.
- Operates continuously or on a timer
- Adjustable Humidistat for easy Humidity Control settings of 35 to 85%
- Large 17-pint water collection container for a mid-sized dehumidifier
- Energy Star Qualified for good energy efficiency
- Auto-Defrost which allows continuous operation in low temperatures
- Continuous drainage, avoids frequently emptying water container manually
- Air purification filter that can be easily cleaned
- Good value for money
- Water collection bucket tricky to empty – if you read the instructions, it clearly says to squeeze in the sides of the bucket gently in order to remove
- No adjustment to the vent airflow is possible, though this isn’t a major issue
- Has no Auto-restart after power failure
The Frigidaire FAD504TDD 50 pint Dehumidifier is an excellent choice for small to medium sized areas up to 1000 sq ft in your home or apartment. Being an Energy Star compliant unit, means it will save you up to 20% on your electric bills. Most users that reviewed the FAD504TDD found it to be a relatively quiet, portable and effective dehumidifier with all the necessary features and capability needed to dehumidify your damp basement or any part your home.
Amazon customers who have submitted dehumidifier reviews, have given the Frigidaire FAD504TDD Dehumidifier a 4.5 out of 5 stars rating, a testament of their satisfaction with the performance of this 50 Pint unit.
For these reasons and all the good features it comes with, we are happy to recommend the Frigidaire FAD504TDD, for being excellent value for money and one of the Top 3 medium–sized Portable Dehumidifiers for home in the market.
If you need a more powerful machine then you should seriously consider its bigger brother, the Frigidaire FAD704TDP 70 pint Dehumidifier, our #1 choice as the Best Dehumidifier for your home.