As is often the case with wheelchair use, good maneuverability is a major concern. ActiveCare Medical CATALINA-18BL Catalina 18 Inch Seat Mid-wheel Drive Power Wheelchair offers a very tight 18″ turning radius, which makes it ideal as far as everyday use about the house is concerned. A mid wheel location for the drive wheels means that the chair’s center of balance is right where you sit, which improves stability, while the other four rear and front caster wheels help to prevent tipping. The Catalina’s captain’s chair is available in 18 and 20 inch widths and provides maximum comfort helped by its adjustable position controller. The Catalina is leading the industry with its style and functionality. Numerous available options include: a messenger bag, a backpack, a carryall bag, a cane holder, and an ELR Bracket.
Price and main features list
- • a 300 lbs. user weight capacity,
- • a 20 miles estimated battery/charge range,
- • the ability to climb ramps of up to 12 degrees,
- • a variable speed of between zero and four mph,
- • an narrow 18?turning radius for increased maneuverability,
- • a position adjustable, fully programmable controller,
- • armrests which flip-up and have adjustable heights, seating angles and widths,
- • a flip-up footplate with adjustable height as well as angle,
- • 18? or 20? seat widths,
- • Captain’s Seats, with headrests, which are foldable, semi-reclining, and swivel through 180 degrees,
- • all its components placed to give efficient service access,
- • mid-chair located drive wheels, which keep the gravity center under where you sit,
- • four front and rear caster wheels which give improved stability and help stop tipping,
Who is it for?
It is ideal for someone who has lots of longish journeys to undertake.
Pros and cons
The ActiveCare Medical CATALINA-18BL Catalina 18 Inch Seat Mid-wheel Drive Power Wheelchair is rated to carry users up to 300 lbs. in weight. It can climb ramps of up to 12 degrees and cover 20 miles on one battery charge at up to four mph. With a turning radius of only 18″ the Catalina is very maneuverable. The fully programmable dynamic controller has typical, common connectors and an easily adjustable position. The easily flipped up armrests have adjustable heights, widths and angles and the footplate, which flips up too has an adjustable height as well as angle. The captain’s seat is semi-reclining, easily foldable, and swivels through180 degrees. The seat’s headrest is fully adjustable too and all components are placed to provide ease of access when servicing is needed.
The center wheels’ drive system gives this machine great maneuverability. The charge/range is excellent. This unit is prone to swerving about on both ramps and uneven road surfaces. The after sales service leaves a lot to be desired.
Why should you buy it?
You could well buy this wheelchair if you have a lot of long journeys to undertake, most of which are on flattish ground which is relatively smooth surfaced.
ActiveCare Medical CATALINA-18BL Catalina 18 Inch Seat Mid-wheel Drive Power Wheelchair is an interesting model, with its center wheel drive, it has plenty of power, a really good range of 20 miles and is solidly constructed. However, if you have a lot of ramp work to do or will be traversing lots of unevenly surfaced roads, try it out before you buy it.